Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Speaking of Safety and Risks

   Upon a reader's questions, I decided I would bloop about the precautions I attempt to take. Here are some of the precautions I take daily and weekly.

  • I always make sure to be aware of my surroundings
    • Noticing a suspicious car more than once - for example, up until last Wednesday's 9 miler I've noticed this same low-rider truck at the beginning of my runs, they (sometimes one guy, sometimes 2) drive extremely slow and park in front of a trucking company for a minute or two, almost waiting for me to get closer before they begin driving. I've noticed that more than 3 times over the last month IF my runs begin around 5 AM and not before, I've also noticed that same truck is parked at the water treatment plant just across from our house so my main suspicion is that drugs are involved but I've since decided that if any road run is close to 5 AM I will avoid that road.
  • I switch up routes like a girl switches bras and panties, I try not to run the same route more than once a week and never on the same day of the week (same route every Monday or Wednesday for example). I always have to start off from my house but I can usually pick right or left, and then other roads to switch up. I am also always ready to dive into a ditch or wooded area for whatever reason.
  • Usually I have no issues or no questionable situations between 3 and 5 AM, the suspicious events normally happen after 5 AM but sometimes I'll run in the evenings or afternoon in the city to switch up my times in case there is a stalker out there.
  • I carry pepper Spray and a knife along with a dog that looks intimidating to most people.
  • As for trails:
    • No music whatsoever, never when on trails even during daylight. I like to have my hearing completely 100% , if I hear the slightest sound behind me or around me I will stop and take a look.
    • Even if Rocky isn't an attack dog, by running in front of me, behind me and all around me I know without a doubt he will find anybody that is possibly hiding behind a tree or mud or wherever. He might not attack them, but he'll give away their position and give me a chance to have my pepper spray ready (or to grab a large stick/limb and beat the crap out of them)
    • I try to go in different directions, never taking the same direction or starting off the same or ending the same if possible.
  • My best defense overall is my awareness of everything around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment