Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I Could Get Used to this Mud

   Strangely enough, I am getting to the point of enjoying this muddy crap out on the trails.... enough to where my pace is getting closer to what it is on the roads. This morning my alarm went off at 3:20 AM, it was about 49 degrees with a feels like 45 so I wore my capri's, under armour thermal shirt, a dri-fit tee over that and my thinish gloves. I had some coffee, went to the bathroom and was out the door by 4:40 AM.
    I planned on starting in the parking lot near the boat ramp to the river, rather than the levee parking lot where we've been parking for the past week.    A truck was coming from the other direction and pulled in before I could, so I drove on by frustrated and then pulled into a driveway to turn back around. Reason I did this, as a woman alone (believe me, Rocky isn't exactly the protective kind..... at least I haven't seen otherwise) at pretty much night, I don't feel comfortable pulling into a parking lot near another vehicle and not knowing who is in it. I can't help it if a vehicle is already parked there, but I don't like pulling in behind someone and letting them see that I am alone. Luckily the truck went to the lot where the trucks with boat trailers park and then to the boat ramp (even more strange.... and suspicious). I parked near the trailhead, got my headlamp on and we headed onto the trails as my imagination went a little crazy - could this guy be dumping a dead body in the river? Or drowning someone or an animal? I don't know, and I didn't go find out. He didn't have a boat or trailer with him, just his truck so I am not sure... maybe there is a floating dock down by the ramp where he was going to sit and fish... who knows?
  Anyways, I have to admit I am very pleased to say I am getting used to the muddy trails and figuring out quick ways of getting over really muddy or flooded sections. Rocky on the other hand goes right through the muddiest of mud. We probably saw 25-30 deer, Rocky tried to say hi to a Opossum which wasn't in the mood and I was able to get Rocky away from it before anything bad happened. That reminds me, I need to set up an appointment to get Rocky in for his shots.
   My GPS was finally working this time for elevation, so that is a good thing. Rocky and I ran 9 miles in 1:39:31 with an average pace of 11:03 min/mile, so I am definitely picking up the pace with all this mud which is beginning to dry. Elevation gain of 103 feet, and a loss of 115 feet.... sounds about right.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 11:56
Mile 2 - 10:41
Mile 3 - 10:16
Mile 4 - 11:23
Mile 5 - 12:15
Mile 6 - 11:21
Mile 7 - 10:58
Mile 8 - 10:34
Mile 9 - 10:07

   

No comments:

Post a Comment