Sunday, April 13, 2014

First Humid Long Run in a While

  I know, it's late getting this up on here as I was out running my 16.2 miles this morning but I've been wiped out and today is a very special day - my little angel is officially 2 years old today.
  My alarm woke me at 4:05 AM, I was beat and wore out and I didn't want to get up and run. Chasing Dorian and the other kids around all afternoon yesterday had me wipe out, and my body begged me to stay in bed. But I just couldn't, I look forward to my long runs the most out of any other run (of course once I start running the Audubon trails once a week, they'll be a close 2nd favorite). It was 66 degrees with 73% humidity and 14 mph S winds, the humidity was going to be the kicker, I wore shorts (with body glide on my inner thighs) and a tank along with my hydration pack with water in the reservoir, and water in the 12 oz bottle with 2 tablets of Hammer Nutrition Endurolyte Fizz (the grape, not to great by itself but I did try it during a walk with one tablet grape and one Lemon-lime and that was good).
  The first 5 miles or so were good, though I was feeling sore already and I had taken a few sips from the 12 oz bottle hoping for a little kick. I was already sweating but the sun wasn't up yet so that was good. By mile 8 I had my first Energy Gu, I was feeling wore out and the sun was starting to come out. The temperature and humidity was definitely making a difference with my pace and my overall feeling.
   Mile 10 I had to make a pit stop and ended up fighting my way through thorn bushes, that was fun........ not. By mile 13 I had my second Energy Gu, the first one had given me a nice kick for 5 miles but I was needing something bad. The sun was up and 66 degrees was feeling pretty warm, I swear I take so much longer acclimating to the heat that I will suffer most of the summer before I finally get used to things. I am very hot headed, and if my head is hot then my running suffers. Through all of this I had taken sips of the 12 oz bottle while chasing the Gu's with water from the reservoir.
   By mile 14.1 I stopped and took my tank off and hung it off the hydration pack, I felt a little better with the wind actually touching more of my skin. I can't say how happy I was when I reached mile 15 and only had a mile to go, but ended up running 16.2 miles just to get home a little quicker.
  I ran 16.2 miles in 2:46:59 with an average pace of 10:19 min/mile, I think the elevation information is way off so I won't even mention it. It was sunny, 66 degrees, 14 mph S winds and 73% humidity. This run leaves me just a little concerned with how my performance will be affected when the real heat comes.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 11:18
Mile 2 - 10:16
Mile 3 - 10:35
Mile 4 - 10:23
Mile 5 - 10:37
Mile 6 - 10:32

Mile 7 - 10:19
Mile 8 - 10:30
Mile 9 - 10:21
Mile 10 - 10:25
Mile 11 - 10:35
Mile 12 - 10:25
Mile 13 - 10:13
Mile 14 - 9:55
Mile 15 - 9:27
Mile 16 - 9:26
.2        - 8:36

   

No comments:

Post a Comment