Sunday, December 8, 2013

One Hellish, Snowy, Tough Run this Morning

   I knew last night that our run this morning would be tough, I expected 3-5 inches of snow on the trails and for it to be a lot like running on sand. I also figured there wouldn't be anybody else on the trails so I didn't get up and out the door until 7 a.m. Rocky was excited, this was awesome weather to him and I was pretty excited too - this would be my first time ever running in snow. We got to the trail head about 20-30 minutes after leaving the house, and we started off....... within a minute I realized I had underestimated the impact that snow would have on my run. I soon had to admit that I was going to get my butt kicked by 4-6 inches of snow and the ungodly uneven footing that other hikers/runner/deer/dogs/etc had caused on the trails. If I wasn't slushing through snow, my feet were landing in all kinds of directions and my ankles were being bent in awful ways. My calves were screaming mutiny by mile 1 and I was seriously contemplating just 2 miles and being done with it. I had planned for 11 but I just couldn't see that happening, and I was really freaking angry about it. I was already hiking some, and then trying to run if that is what you would call it. By mile 2 I decided I would finish with 4 miles and be done with it, but by the time I was getting ready to reach mile 4 I thought to myself how upset and disappointed I would be if I ended up with 4 miles today so I decided on 5. At this point another runner passed me, he didn't look to be enjoying it an awful lot. Rocky was having a blast, he was really enjoying the snow.
    By the time I had reached 4.5 miles I decided 5 miles wasn't going to be enough and pushed on for 6 miles figuring at least with 6 I might be able to handle it. I ended the run with 7.1 miles and my legs at this point were crying, my quads were screaming for a merciful death and my empty stomach was begging for food. Had it not been for my stomach I probably would have pushed for 8 miles.
    Rocky and I ran/hiked 7.1 miles in 1:29:34 with an average pace of 12:37 min/mile (the SLOWEST I have ever ran I think). Elevation gain of 130 feet and a loss of 125 feet. Temperature was 25 degrees with a feels like 15, the temperature didn't bother me - it never does when there is snow on the ground.
   Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 14:08 
Mile 2 - 14:04
Mile 3 - 13:41
Mile 4 - 12:25
Mile 5 - 11:39
Mile 6 - 11:22
Mile 7 - 11:13
.1      - 10:14

    A butt kicker for sure.... and I honestly don't know what or where I will be running tomorrow, I don't really want to have to endure that again for 5-6 miles.
   Some pics from this morning's run.




No comments:

Post a Comment