Monday, December 16, 2013

Last Night's 7 Miler on the Roads with Rocky

  First off, I almost didn't go running yesterday and I actually felt relieved about it. The scare I got with my foot/toe, and then my soon being up all night from 1 a.m to 6:30 a.m sick to his stomach and vomiting - I just couldn't go run that morning with him needing me (he's only 20 months old). I also didn't want to find out if I did in fact have an overuse injury, so I wasn't even stressed out by the idea of not running and I was already accepting that I was done with the holiday streak as I could tell either it was taking a toll on my body, or trying to stabilize my feet while running on ice, slush or snow and roads are just tough compared to trails; had I kept running trails it would probably be a different story.
   Well, my mom got out to the house at 4:30 p.m and Dorian had been feeling so much better and had been eating some without puking since 6:30 a.m. I had avoided giving him any milk, so the only liquids he has consumed since 6 yesterday morning has been either water or pedialyte. I decided to try for 3 miles, I wasn't expecting anything good with my toe. I took Rocky with me and we hit some good hills in the first mile, things weren't sore yet.
   We kept running, and the only soreness I felt was my right lower calf and ankle area but it got better after 3 miles. We ended up running 7.1 miles, I really wanted 9 but I promised Rocky I would never force him to run longer than 7 miles on the roads if I could help it (his paw pads are my concern) so I accepted 7.1 miles. It was slow going the first 3 miles but we picked it up and then just after mile 5 ran past the house with the Doberman and he was out (again) so got stuck there for 5 minutes until his owner called him in. Then in the last mile a loose dog decided to run just a few feet ahead of us turning around to bark every few seconds, then had to stop and meet Rocky. He then followed us for a quarter of a mile before going somewhere else, which had slowed us down more than I wanted. 
   We ran 7.1 miles in 1:15:53, an average pace of 10:41 min/mile and an elevation gain of 157 feet and loss of 158 feet. Temperature was 30 degrees with a feels like 23 degrees, 7 mph SW winds.
Laps/splits:
Mile 1 - 11:36
Mile 2 - 10:33
Mile 3 - 10:32
Mile 4 - 10:28
Mile 5 - 10:37
Mile 6 - 10:41
Mile 7 - 10:27
.1       - 9:42

    Honestly though, I think 18 consecutive days is enough for me - at least for now and until I can get back on trails and there is no more ice. Plus, it's just aggravating dressing up to run in winter, I love being able to wear shorts, a sports bra and shoes (socks too) - it's quick and barely take 2 minutes to dress while winter gear takes 3-8 minutes and it isn't so bad when I have 3 days off from running but to run everyday, to tug on the tights everyday, 2-3 layers of shirts, my long socks and then head band and maybe a hat, then gloves........ it just gets old. I might try a streak in summer next year, but I think I am pretty much okay with saying my holiday streak is over. My legs need rest, they need a break and I'd like to blame it on the ice that I've had to run on :P

No comments:

Post a Comment