Sunday, February 1, 2015

Three Days in a Row and a Big Milestone (for me)

So far I ran 3 days in a row now, with no issue and making sure to take it slow and easy this morning.
Rocky and I hit the roads this morning for 6.2 miles, so far 3 days in a row of running without issue so things are looking good.  This week I made it to 22.7 miles without issue, and making sure to stretch every part of my legs and hips that I can think of after my runs. It helps to start at the hips first and then the Piriformis stretch, and then the Bicep Femoris stretch, then my calves then my quads and hammies.
Next week I am just going to take it a day at a time, I'll run Tuesday then see how I feel Wednesday and then check how I am feeling Thursday and Friday while taking Saturday as a rest day. 

After my run and stretch, I took a very much needed step and headed to the gym for the first time in 3 years. I admit I was nervous, when I did go to the gym it was at Ivy Tech which had a small, comfy gym and I knew my way around it and my usual regimen. Now I am starting basically as a newbie so I was nervous to go to Bob's Gym which is significantly larger and more popular, but I am so freaking glad I went.
At 6:10 AM on a Sunday, it wasn't very busy at all. My 40 minute workout included (if I can remember the names):
Lat Pull Down - 4 Sets of 12 reps
Arm Extension - 4 Sets of 12 reps
Fly Delt - 4 Sets of 12 reps
Rear Delt - 4 Sets of 12 Reps
Torso Rotation - 5 Sets of 12 Reps on each side
Seated Row - 5 Sets of 12 Reps

   It felt so good, I think I might have overdid it but it just felt great being back in there. The tricky part will be scheduling time for the gym which will most likely be after my shorter runs so Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday once my Wednesday and Sunday runs become longer than 8-10 miles.
I feel so good, so content and happy that I went, I cannot wait to get on a schedule of going. 
I am not sure when I will begin strength training my legs though... I am trying to be cautious because for the last couple of months, every time I start back on squats, lunges or my hyper back extension I start getting issues in/around my Piriformis and hammies. When I do start, I'll probably work on the Hip Adductor and Hip Abductor machines to strengthen my hips which seem to be what a lot of articles state as the issue for my pains.

No comments:

Post a Comment