Saturday, February 14, 2015

2015 Hearts on Fire 5k

  So this is my first race of the year, the temperature was 36 degrees and 8 mph winds with a feels like 29 degrees so not bad. I did a 2 mile/20 minute warm up run, got pelted in the eye by sleet or more like snow beebees. 
  I didn't really plan on pushing myself or anything, I am still feeling exhausted from last week's cold and lack of sleep and USI has some crazy hills. But I didn't want to take it slow, I wanted to at least be around 30 minutes or faster without making an effort.
  But as usual, once the gun goes off I no longer have control and pushed myself past a lot of people trying to avoid getting stuck and having to zig-zag and I was pretty successful at that. 
The hills definitely kicked my arse, I mean as far as exhaustion and lack of sleep went, and the fact that my nose was running fast than I was. I still managed to power up those hills even when others slowed down at them, all of Chandler's hills including the last big one near the end of my runs have been helping.
  The big hill just before mile 2 just about did me in towards the end and having some guy just behind me breathing so hard was really screwing with my brain and my own breathing (this is why having music sometimes helps during races, even short races!!!).
  Right at 2.75 miles I stopped and walked for like .05 or 15 seconds or so..... I was wearing down quick, either the 6 miles yesterday morning and the 2 miles this morning were an issue, or just still feeling exhausted.... I don't know but when I looked at my garmin and saw 2.83 I knew I was close and I told myself to get moving and finish strong (it was tough).
  I was expecting to see the clock at 28-29 minutes when I got close enough, but it was at 26:24 so I decided to push harder and finished somewhere around 26:40, my garmin says 26:42 with an average pace of 8:37 min/mile but we'll see what the race clock/bib time thing says when they post. Last year's time was 26:34 by the clock and 26:40 on my garmin.... I wish they would post the damn results!
Looks like almost 300 feet in elevation gain for 3.1 miles, not bad.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 8:34 
Mile 2 - 8:43
Mile 3 - 8:47
.1      - 7:14


  Not bad at all for all the issues I've had so far this year and last December, I had planned on doing 40 minutes of abdominal/core strengthening but I haven't been feeling too good stomach wise since noon........... just feel a little tired. I have 8-10 miles planned tomorrow so we'll see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment