Friday, October 18, 2013

An Amazing 5 Mile Trail Run Before Dawn (with Rocky)

  This morning Rocky and I got up and out the door before 4:45, and were at the northern trailhead of Angel Mounds trails by 5 a.m. It was 45 degrees and just beautiful out, I had on my capri's and a hoodie over my tech shirt but ended up taking it off by mile 2. Rocky loved it, and I loved it too but I think I might need a second light source, maybe a handheld flashlight because even though my headlamp was great, it kind of sucked having to turn it everywhere I wanted to look. Even though the trails are full of roots, I am very graceful and quick on my feet so that wasn't an issue, I love the winding trails and they are even cooler in the dark. My light shined at least 15 pairs of eyes during the run (deer and probably one raccoon). 
    We ran 5 miles, Rocky's furthest run so far. It wasn't as fast as Wednesday's 3 mile run but I was trying not to kill myself on roots since it was pitch black, except for my headlamp. We ran the 5 miles in 52:33 with an average pace of 10:30 min/mile so not bad at all for a night run.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 11:10
Mile 2 - 10:38
Mile 3 - 10:20
Mile 4 - 10:31
Mile 5 - 9:51

   Not bad at all, the only issue was towards end when I ran into a stump because I was so busy focusing on my watch to see if I had reached 5 miles yet and I had forgotten a stump was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment