Friday, October 25, 2013

A Chilly and Clumsy 5 Mile Trail Run

  This morning I almost didn't get out the door, Dorian was restless and making lots of noise. Luckily Rocky and I managed to leave, but I felt like of blah and rushed and not quite put together. Couldn't quite get my headlamp to stay on, I felt constricted in my tights and two layers of long sleeves (one was an underarmour tight like shirt, and the other was something like a windbreaker or whatever). Then my gloves and my head/ear band which didn't feel right either.
   The first 2 miles or so was really clumsy, I lost count of how many times I tripped up on a root, stubbed my foot and about sprained my ankles. It wasn't fun, I couldn't get the light aiming where I wanted it to, next trail run I will definitely carry an extra flashlight to help. This trail run was definitely a lot slower than the last ones, but strangely Rocky stayed right behind me 90% of the run which is unusual but I hope a trend. Of course there wasn't anybody else out there, I've purchased a E-Collar to help with my commands as I need him to understand that he can't just go running up on people like he does with us.... I know sooner or later something really bad is going to happen. I've used before, on Molly when she needed to learn how to walk on a leash in public around other dogs, she would bluff aggression when going towards other dogs but then once she would get to them she'd sniff and then ignore. After 3 months of using the e-collar she was so much better to walk with. I miss her.
   The last mile, actually just before we hit 5 miles I had hit some giant root that about twisted my ankle. This morning was just such a clumsy run, but I am glad I got out there anyways. We ran 5 miles in 55:03 with an average pace of 10:58 min/mile. I wasn't looking to push it, as I need to start taking it easy before the half marathon next weekend. I most likely won't run the trails again until after the race.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 11:04
Mile 2 - 10:50
Mile 3 - 11:21
Mile 4 - 11:21
Mile 5 - 10:15

    Did I mention it was 32 degrees, and felt like 25?

No comments:

Post a Comment