Friday, November 8, 2013

A Foggy and Chilly 6 Miler with Rocky

  I almost didn't get up this morning, my sinuses are clogging up my head and I feel really lethargic. Yesterday I had an abscess that was on my pelvis "drained", it wasn't bad and they gave me another option which would have been antibiotics for 2 weeks and see if it goes down but I thought screw it.... I wanted it gone. I'm still not feeling any soreness so that good, but I am so glad it is gone as Dorian likes to bounce up and down on me right on my pelvis area and it was hurting like hell.
  Anyways, Rocky and I took out of the house around 5:15 and the windows were frosted but I fixed that. After a few minutes of running, I thought maybe I should just do a 30-40 minute run rather than aim for 6 miles, my legs were feeling beaten from all the roots trying to kill me Wednesday morning, so I just told myself to run between 35-40 minutes and I can head back home. Well, 25 minutes goes by and I am starting to feel much better so I tell myself "eh, try for 50 minutes and see how you feel". Rocky of course was feeling great, around 3.6 we stopped at the Tahoe to drop off my headlamp and Indy Monumental Marathon sock hat as daylight was here and my head was feeling hot. I grabbed Rocky E-Collar as I was a little annoyed with him constantly stopping and then racing after me, I don't have to use any of the shock buttons (1 is powerful in itself) as the vibrate button does the trick to get him back to me. I only have to use 1 or 2 when he sees another person or dog and won't listen to the vibrate, he's a friendly bastard but the way he runs up to say hi could give the wrong person or dog either a heart attack or reason to hit him. Once he's upon someone, he's doing this wiggle-jiggle dance with his whole body, (he has never met a stranger) but it is those seconds before his wiggle dance that worries me. Strangers don't know that it is just his nature and game to run up fast on them, don't ask me why he does it, but the E-Collar helps IF there are others out on the trail.
  Anyways, when I reached 50 minutes I said screw it lets shoot for an hour and see where we're at. I later ended it at 6 miles in 1:01:16, I know trail runners don't care about the distance or miles as much as they do about time, but I am still obsessive as a new trail convert. And I just have to have an even number if I can help it dang it.
  As the sun had began to really rise, fog rolled in from the river looking like a scene from the movie "The Mist". It was 32 degrees, I wore my capris and some florescent yellow long sleeve shirt with a spaghetti strap underneath and my gloves. After 25-30 minutes I no longer felt cold so I am really glad I didn't wear any extra layers.
Splits/laps were:
Mile 1 - 11:25
Mile 2 - 10:58
Mile 3 - 9:43
Mile 4 - 10:07
Mile 5 - 9:56
Mile 6 - 9:05

No comments:

Post a Comment