Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A 7 Mile Trail Run with Rocky

   I almost didn't take Rocky with me this morning, last night he had a seizure due to something he got into while outside. No more free roaming for him from now, but he was doing great this morning so I decided to take him with me and just keep an eye on him. I think we stopped at every mile, giving him a moment (he didn't need it) and to make sure he wasn't having any problems. He was doing great, I thought I was doing great too until around mile 2-3 when I started tripping over just about every freaking root. 
   It was 57 degrees, so I wore shorts and a t-shirt, it felt great not to be covered and hopefully I can do the same during next weekend's trail race. It wasn't quite an easy run, I am definitely feeling soreness in my legs now, in areas that hardly ever feel any soreness. We ran the 7 miles in 1:13:47 with an average pace of 10:32 min/mile, elevation gain of 132 feet and a loss of 122 feet. 
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 11:01
Mile 2 - 11:36
Mile 3 - 10:29
Mile 4 - 10:23
Mile 5 - 10:23
Mile 6 - 10:09
Mile 7 - 9:43
   The fallen leaves makes seeing the roots very difficult, even with a headlamp. Around mile 4 the sun started to rise and soon after I didn't need the headlamp but it was still difficult to see the roots due to all of the leaves.
After our run, we walked over to the riverbank to see the sun rising and let Rocky maybe get into the river. He got in alright, misjudging how slippery the bank was he fell in. I tried to coax him to a spot 5 feet away that he could climb out of easily but he wouldn't listen. In a few seconds I realized he wasn't going to get out of the water by himself, I knew then that if I didn't hurry he was going to go under. I ended up reaching down and grabbing him by the scruff of his neck and collar and dragging him out, I think he's around 52-54 lbs now........ luckily he wasn't too shaken up, and we headed home. Tonight I'm going to use some leave-in shampoo and conditioner spray to get rid of the wet dog smell he now has. I will definitely be more careful from now on, he doesn't have the depth perception (and smarts) that Molly had when it came to water, every time he goes near water he ends up in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment