Friday, March 21, 2014

A Beautiful, Muddy 5 Miler on the Trails

   Yesterday I took Rocky and Dorian to the trails for a hike and to see how they were. Other than being really tough and inaccessible for strollers in area, the trails weren't bad. There was definitely some flooding in areas and I wasn't about to take the stroller through there but for a runner or hiker, not bad and if you are really great at jumping distances of 5 feet or more, even better. As for me, not so much.
   This morning I got up at 4:25 AM, didn't get to the trails until 5:18 AM because I freaked myself out with images of Silent Hill and stuff so I really didn't want to run with just a light but eventually said screw it and went. Nothing tried to kill me, thank god.
   Temperature was 45 degrees, we parked at the little lot near the levee and started on the levee. Not bad, though I was thinking to myself - where in the H-E-Double Hockey sticks did all these darn gum balls come from!!!? Footing was tricky still, but the ground was mildly soft in most areas that weren't flooded or severely muddy.
   I ended up soaking my socks and shoes, but it wasn't bad since the temp was 45 degrees, it would have been really bad if the temp was under 30. There was a lot of mud on the inner trails, but I wasn't in a hurry or I kind of enjoyed it a little, all the mucking about in the mud.
  Rocky and I ran 5 miles in 53:44 with an average pace of 10:45 min/mile, seems to be our usual 5 mile time.... so it was definitely an easy pace and my legs were quite happy to have a break from the hard pounding of the roads, still not sure if they don't like the shoes but we'll find out some time next week.
Laps/splits:
Mile 1 - 11:17
Mile 2 - 11:17
Mile 3 - 11:10
Mile 4 - 10:03
Mile 5 - 9:56

    By the final mile I was feeling really good and enjoying the trails, so much so that I am determined that Rocky and I will be heading to Hoosier National Forest to run the Indian/Celina Challenge course or in other words the Two Loops trail. I am so excited, I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment