Saturday, September 7, 2013

YMCA 15k Race

   I got my butt out of bed just before 5 a.m, get dressed (while drinking coffee) and ready and went for an easy .8 mile warm up run, trying to loosen things up before the race. I ended up deciding not to wear a shirt for the race, and luckily I was able to go to the bathroom before I left home. I really didn't have any plans to aim for a PR, I just wanted to enjoy the race (I've got a lot on my mind right now). Got there with 20 minutes before lineup so I went to the bathroom one more time, then walked a little bit. I tried to line up around the middle but closer to the front, I was really expecting there to be more participants but apparently only 629 this time. The gun soon went off, and we worked our way through the bottle necked part of the start. My legs were a little sore already, probably from Wednesday's double duty and Thursday's 5 mile walk. I didn't worry about and just moved past the slow people, honestly I have no idea how many people I really passed through the whole race but I know it was a lot. Was expecting or planning to go out so fast, I had expected to be at least above a 10:00 minute pace.

Mile 1 - 9:47 
Mile 2 - 9:30
Mile 3 - 9:25
     I was feeling pretty good still, no bodily function issues and the soreness had gone away. By this point we were onto the Greenway Recreational Trail, which was pretty hilly so I made sure to power up the hills and enjoy the downhills, I managed to pass quite a few during the uphill parts.

Mile 4 - 9:09
Mile 5 - 8:52
Mile 6 - 8:42
   Still feeling pretty good, I was picking and choosing runners to tag along with for pace and then I'd switch if I felt I could go faster. Around this point I was feeling like a side stitch was threatening to slow me down, but I just watched my breathing and kept going. At this point I did grab a cup of water, to dump on my head. I easily overheat, especially my head so it feels really good to have cold water on the forehead...... at least for a minute or two. 
Mile 7 - 8:42
Mile 8 - 9:02
Mile 9 - 9:07  
  I had started slowing down at this point, the heat from the sun baring down on my head, and a stupid stitch in the very front just under my sternum wasn't going away. I tried to ignore it and kept pushing it for the last .3 mile stretch and finished with 8:18 minute pace.
 I finished and was so happy to being done, but curious of where I placed so I stuck around until I figured they were going to wait until the walkers were done which would have been over an hour longer. My half-ass goal time was to finish under 1:30:00 and I finished at 1:24:16 (chip time, my garmin was 3 seconds slower) and with an average pace of 9:02 min/mile. Sadly I didn't win in my age group, heck I was 16 minutes behind 1st place in my age group.
  The results:
Overall - 196/629
Division Placement - 6/49
Gender - 68/354

  I'm not to down about not winning my age group, this is so far my fastest time for a 15k and I figure if the temperature is like 10+ degrees cooler than this morning for the half marathon, I should be able to hold this pace no problem for the Evansville Half Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment