Monday, September 16, 2013

This Morning's Crappy Run

   Well, this morning certainly made up for yesterday's amazing long run by raining cats and dogs on my butt. Starting out the door in 64 degrees with no rain, down the driveway and in less than 5 minutes there were some sprinkles but I figured sprinkles were nothing so I kept going. Around half a mile into the run it starts raining a little more, but I figured it couldn't get much worse as the forecast said only a 30% chance of rain which for us normally means none. Well.......... within minutes past the half mile in it started pouring on me, like flash flood rain. I kept going, determined to make it to the first mile and then I would begrudgedly turn around and head for home with only 2 miles this morning. My shoes and socks were soaked, my clothes were soaked and the street had about a quarter inch of rain, and half an inch in some areas. It sucked, but around the turn and .4 miles away from the house it began to stop raining so I decided to push for the other direction and aim for at least 3 miles. I was pretty damn miserable all soaking wet, but I kept going and around 2.7 miles the rain had completely stopped so I felt a little more upbeat as I pushed on for mile marker 4. I got to mile 4 and figured I'd push a little further and aim for my 5 miles, since the weather had cleared. I was about 1.4 miles from home when I decided to turn around knowing that I would definitely reach my 5 mile goal this morning. Right at the point that's 1 mile from home is when the rain began....... and it didn't take a minute before it started pouring hard. Suffice to say for the next 5-8 minutes I was once again trudging through puddles and dripping wet, it wasn't fun at all. I've ran in rain before........ but this morning rain sucked, I'd rather run in sleet and snow any day of the week. It was supposed to be a slow, easy run which went that way for the first 3-4 miles except for mile 2 where I was racing home and then changed my mind. I ran 5 miles in 53:09 with an average pace of 10:37
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 11:42
Mile 2 - 10:25
Mile 3 - 10:54
Mile 4 - 10:43
Mile 5 - 9:24

No comments:

Post a Comment