Friday, January 3, 2014

Can it Get Any Colder.......... A Rhetorical Question

  Last night I was debating on running in the morning, and seriously thought about waiting until later in the afternoon. I ended up waking up at 5:15 a.m, and getting dressed properly.... or at least as properly as I could while deciding on not wearing the face mask. Rocky and I headed out the door at 5:39 a.m, it was 10 freaking degrees......... thankfully no wind though, so that was a plus. By mile 2 my legs felt like pins and needles were being stuck into them, by mile 3 my face was numb and my legs were slowly heading that way too. Rocky did great, I think he really enjoyed the freezing cold temperature while I was wishing I had worn my face mask at this point. 
  I aimed for the route with a lot of the big hills, I want to start preparing myself for the elevation gains at the Indian-Celina Challenge even if it means doing it while running on the roads. 
  We ran 6.2 miles in 1:02:04 with an average pace of 10:01 min/mile, an elevation gain of 202 feet and a loss of 211 feet. Not bad, as much as I hate the idea of going over the same route or course during a run - I might have to do this loop twice or so during my 12 and 14 miles in hopes of reaching 400-500 feet in elevation gain. The Indian-Celina Challenge 13.1 mile course has around 3,150 feet of elevation gain (and is in June) - if I am going to survive that, I need to start putting in some serious hill runs even when not running trails. As soon as it starts getting light out sooner, and staying light later I am going to start doing Friday runs at John James Audubon - that place has some serious hills and is only 20-30 minutes away.
  Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:44
Mile 2 - 10:32
Mile 3 - 10:21
Mile 4 - 10:00
Mile 5 - 9:44
Mile 6 - 9:03
.2      - 8:22

    Not bad for an easy run, a bit faster than I wanted but I had to keep moving to keep from freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment