Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Chilly and a Little Eerie Trail Run with Rocky

   I did not run yesterday, these single digits and negative digits are really beginning to drive me into depression, I don't care about the bacon award anymore da*n it. I did not run this morning, 7 degrees with a wind chill of -7 so I asked my mom to watch Dorian this evening so I could run in 12 degrees.
   I almost tried to go to John James Audubon with Rocky, and sneak him onto the trails but it just didn't seem like it was going to work (stupid DNR guy) so we headed to Angel Mounds trails. The fields out by the trailhead and parking lot were loaded with deer, there had to be 50 or more. The sun was still lighting the woods up some, so I left my head lamp in the tahoe thinking my eyes would adjust..... boy was I wrong, around mile 1.25 Rocky and I made the turn around onto a trail heading back to the tahoe - I was going to get my headlamp. We got to the Tahoe just after mile 3, I got my headlamp and we headed back out on the trails. We took the inner trail and I was planning on taking the trail that went close to the Angel Mounds fence to head back to the Tahoe and make 6 miles.... that didn't happen. 
   Around mile 4, in the middle of these woods I hear a sound as a Hoosier I don't want to hear when I don't have my pepper spray on me and it's now dark out - Coyotes, and not just one or 2 but most likely a pack of 4 or 5. Grant you, most times they'll leave you alone, but some animals can get really cranky with dogs so I was a little concerned. Luckily we didn't run into them, and we got 6.3 miles done in 1:08:37 with an average pace of 10:54 min/mile, an elevation gain of 98 feet and a loss of 109 feet. Temperatures were 12 degrees, no wind - my face was completely numb but overall a good run and I hope I'll have the energy and drive to get up Thursday morning for my 8 miler on the trails.
Laps/Splits were:
Mile 1 - 11:16
Mile 2 - 11:13
Mile 3 - 11:29
Mile 4 - 11:03
Mile 5 - 10:34
Mile 6 - 10:06

No comments:

Post a Comment