Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Really Chilly, Frozen Trail Run with Rocky

    Last night I decided that Rocky and I were going to run the trails this morning, I was sick and tired of being denied the trails by mother nature so I said screw it. It was cold enough to have the trails frozen, and even any of the flooded areas so I figured it couldn't be as bad as December's trail runs. I actually ended up waking up before 4 AM, strangely with some pep ..... *I am paying for it now*.
    Rocky and I got out the door by 4:15-4:20 AM, and we hit the trails at 4:47 AM, it was 9 degrees out and the air coming off the river made it even colder. I didn't wear my face mask and near the end I was really wishing I had, my nose was freaking numb. The trails weren't bad, they were frozen but there were a lot of deep bike tracks and foot tracks that were trying to break my ankles. The good news was that all the flooded areas were completely frozen, I counted 20 spots deeper than 5 inches and 5ft-10ft across all ways. It sucks that these are the closest trails to my house that are open 24/7, if only I lived closer to Hoosier National Forest..... anyways
    During the final mile, I just about snapped my right ankle on a stupid, deep foot print.... or at least it felt like I had snapped it. The pain did go away after a minute or so, but it felt like forever. Rocky and I ran 8 miles in 1:24:44 with an average pace of 10:35 min/mile, elevation gain of 114 feet and a loss of 115 feet.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 11:57
Mile 2 - 10:31
Mile 3 - 10:04
Mile 4 - 10:49
Mile 5 - 10:38
Mile 6 - 10:31
Mile 7 - 9:46
Mile 8 - 10:25

  Not a progression run, but it still felt great getting out on the trails. I might just have to hit the trails again Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment