Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Beyond Freezing Cold 6.3 Miler

   I chose not to run yesterday morning, winds were 21 mph and it was in the low negatives with a feels like -24 degrees so I made the decision that it would be wiser not to run and to just take Monday as a rest day. This morning's temperature was -2 degrees with a feels like -12, 8 mph winds but I had decided that I would layer up and dig deep into my insanity for this run. 
Gear - a Seirus Combo Scarf mask, a Brooks Infinite Nightlife head band, and my nightlife hat.
3 layers for upper body - an under armour long sleeve thingy, 2nd layer a Solomon long sleeve with wind breaking material on the outside, then my new somewhat thick wind breaker jacket that I think is Brooks.......... or Nike.
Two layers for my legs, a pair of snug fitting tights and another pair of not so snug tights. Two pairs of socks and two pairs of gloves....... I was ready.

   I stepped out that door at 5 AM and thought "WTF was I thinking!?", -2 degrees with a feels like - 12 was really freaking cold. But I had already decided that I was going to try for 6.3 miles, on a 3.15 mile loop around the "block". The first half mile was freezing and I was regretting it, but as soon as I got off that road with the open field and turned my back to the wind, it got better. I had to suffer that road twice though..... but what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger :)
   I focused on as many of the big hills as I could, trying to prepare myself for the hilly course at Indian-Celina Challenge. I have yet to reach even 1,000 feet in elevation gain but I am getting used to hills again.
   I ran 6.3 miles in 1:06:07 with an average pace of 10:30 min/mile, elevation gain of 155 feet and a loss of 161 feet.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 11:09
Mile 2 - 10:40
Mile 3 - 10:35

Mile 4 - 10:25
Mile 5 - 10:14
Mile 6 - 10:05
.3      - 9:56

    Next run won't be until Thursday which will hopefully be a bit warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment