Friday, March 22, 2013

One less Half this Year... maybe

  After thinking about it and then discussing with Cameron, I decided that I am not running the Flying Pig Half in May. I don't feel comfortable going out of state with my son, and not being allowed to carry my gun. If it were just me going, then I wouldn't have a problem with it but I have my son's life in my hands and I just don't feel comfortable about it. I thought about finding another race in May, but I am not too worried about it as I think I might try and run 3 Half Marathons this Fall, one in October, one in November and one either one in September or one if December. I'd like to have 4 Half Marathons under my belt this year but I won't fret if it only ends up being 3 because that is still better than just one a year.
  Yesterday was a close call, I started talking to Cameron's mom (Alice, though I call her Nana) about Dorian being sick and how I am hoping that he gets over his cold before the trip to St. Louis. Ugh, my big mouth. She started complaining to Cameron how she would like to go with us, how she is never invited to anything. Cameron didn't say anything really and she went on about her business. A few hours later she comes in all excited, that she has an idea how she can go with us and not be in the way, her sister Lois would pick her up from the hotel and she would stay with her. Just a few problems:

  1. She has been have serious sick episodes here a lot lately, and was beginning to have one yesterday and the day before.
  2. She will start fights with Cameron, she acts like a brat sometimes and just isn't pleasant to be stuck with for a couple of hours in a vehicle
  3. She could very well start a fight with Lois and end up at our hotel room.
  4. She just invited herself.
First issue, as I told everyone else is if she were to get sick and force me to miss my race, I would never forgive her and I would never forget about it. I would drive everyone around crazy for months, even years or at least until the next race. That was all Cameron had to hear before he called her and told her no, she got all pissy and started pouting but he ignored it and told her that I've been training for 6 months for this race and it would be bullshit if I miss it because of one of her sick episodes. And even if she didn't have a sick episode, she could start a fight with Lois or something come up with Lois and we would be stuck with her, I would be miserable and my race would probably suffer from the stress. She would most likely act like a total brat about everything and make everyone miserable, and then get defensive when she felt attacked or picked on.
But thankfully my husband understands how I feel about my races and he saved the day, though I owe him big time now and it won't be very pleasant for me haha but I don't care. He saved me from what would have undoubtedly been a miserable weekend and race for me and everyone else. It sucks to feel this way about my mother-in-law (though everyone else around her likes the "quality time" to be limited as well), but she just isn't pleasant after an hour or so, she is pushy, bratty and loud mouthed about her opinions. The only reason my mom is coming is because she isn't any of that, and she helps to watch Dorian so I can sleep and rest. There would be absolutely no sleep whatsoever is Alice went with us, which would make for horrible race and weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment