Saturday, March 23, 2013

First Run in a Week, and I am a Bit Nervous

  I haven't ran for a week, trying to give my foot time to heal and recover from the months of running in shoes not meant for me, and hopefully these new shoes will be the perfect match. Today I aim for 6 or 7 miles, but I am nervous about how it will go. My foot still aches but not as bad, and my stomach has been doing some "spring cleaning" all morning now so that should make things interesting on the run. My run isn't until noon so I have like an hour to fret over this; but hopefully the weird twitches and pinches in my legs will go away by then, maybe the ibuprofen will help some. 
  I haven't really eaten anything this morning, except for coffee and some wheat crackers, but around 3:45 I had some pizza because I was awake and I couldn't control myself :( .

Edit after today's run:
    After a week of resting and no running, figuring out that the shoes I've been running in for the last 6 or 7 months were completely wrong for me (though I've done many of my best runs in them). So I was referred the Asics Gel-GT 2000, and today was the first time running in them and I'd say overall it went very well. I tried to take it easy and slow, but that didn't happen..... my body would not take easy and just burst out the gate like a race horse that hasn't ran in months. I ran my fastest 10k to date, with a time of 58:54 and an average pace of 9:30 min/mile which was unbelievable. My foot was still a bit sore but didn't hinder me at all apparently, I wasn't even feeling like I was trying to run a tempo until mile 5 just before mile 6. It felt pretty damn easy all the way through other than the last half mile really. My splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:14
Mile 2 - 9:17
Mile 3 - 9:54
Mile 4 - 9:39
Mile 5 - 9:20
Mile 6 - 8:52 
.2 - 8:25

  After that I finished with a .2 mile walk to cool down and ease out of that pace. All I've got to say is if I can relatively stick close to this pace for the half 2 weeks from tomorrow, that would be FREAKING awesome and I would have a finish time of 2:04:00 but knowing that is unlikely to keep especially if I start out the first half of the 13.1 mile race and putter out at or after Holy Hill... I'll aim for a 10:00 min/mile pace because that seemed to work for me on my 10 mile run and that would give me a finishing time of 2:11:00 which still gives me a PR. Anyways, I am not going to fret about it now and just take each mile as it comes on race day and hope for the best. I'll also keep icing and massaging my foot, and stretching as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment