Monday, February 25, 2013

One of my HMs might just be a PR this year

  Yesterday I decided to take a breather from the big hills during my long run and headed into town to run the greenway, it was still an elevation gain of 115 feet but not much compared to my last 2 long runs which were 263 feet on the first 10 miler and 292 during my last 9 miler. I'm glad I did, I was actually able to see what kind of progress I've made. I am sure that if I ran 13.1 miles today instead of 10 I would have ran it in 2:12:06 keeping an average pace of 10:05 min/mile.
  I don't know exactly what the elevation gain for the St. Louis Half will be but I feel a bit more confident in myself after today's run. As much as I dislike the hills out here, I know they're definitely helping me become a better runner. It is exciting to think that I might just knock almost 20 minutes off my Half Marathon time, my first was 2:31:05 with an evil bladder due to pregnancy, my second was 2:36:39 with a groin and upper quad injury. Yesterday I know if I had went ahead and ran 13.1 miles I would have been under 2:15:00, though I probably would have felt it the next few days and regretted it later on. 
  Whether it's the St. Louis Half or one of the Indy Half Marathons, I know I am going to hit a PR this year. I have no injuries (knock on wood), I am feeling great and getting faster and more confident in my running, as long as I stick to my training plan and I don't get stupid about it and injure myself. Cameron is a little concerned about me doing so many Halfs this year, but I assured him that I am doing my training differently and more intelligently, the YMCA's training group gave us 6 months, increasing our LRs a mile each weekend and our weekly runs up to 4 miles before the October Half, we only did 3 days of running for 6 months, I've been doing 4 days of running since November and so far so good. February is going to see anywhere between 90-96 miles, January saw 89 miles, December saw 81.8 miles and November saw 61.5 miles while October saw 27.2 due to the injury, but September saw 64.6 miles. So far everything is feeling well, I am being very careful listening to my body and taking rest days or scaling back on a run whenever it seems needed. I have a feeling this year is going to be a good year for me, and I am excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment