Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Last Few Days

   So......... here it goes - Saturday wasn't bad, we didn't run until about 10 AM and even though it was in the 70's it still wasn't bad, Rocky did well and of course Dorian enjoyed his ride. We ran 3 miles in 29:34 with an average pace of 9:54 min/mile, so not bad.
  Sunday was a whole other story....... and it was an awfully epic fail. First I wasn't able to get out the door in the morning, Dorian woke with my alarm and stayed awake. Sunday was a miserably hot day, even at 5 AM it was 78 degrees with 90% humidity and a dew point of 75 so it was freaking awful so I am actually a little relieved that I wasn't able to go out in that. I was still in relatively high hopes that I would get my 16 miler in later that afternoon because the temp would begin to drop and so would the humidity.
There is a reason I like doing my long runs in the morning on an empty stomach, and I made a big mistake eating pizza an hour or so before 6 PM. I finally said screw it at 5:30 PM and started getting ready, it was still currently 90 degrees outside...... but I didn't know that until after my attempt.
  I knew this was going to be a tough one when before mile 2 I had to make a pit stop, and I began to feel sick. I thought it was just the heat so I pushed on, stopping every half mile or so to recover from what I thought was the heat. I was already drinking water, and by mile 4 I had a GU and had to sit for 5-10 minutes before pushing on. I was feeling awful, I noticed my phone was low on charge - I only had about 7% battery life left.
  Just before mile 5 I had to stop again and breath, have some water and curse the weather and how I was feeling. I was sitting in the grass along the road trying to call my husband, no signal, no network. A woman stopped and asked if I was okay, I said yes and thank you. As I got up, I realized I had the chills, not horribly noticeable but enough to be a concern for me as I've never had them during a run. I was getting a little worried at this point, if I pushed on and found myself feeling much, much worse and my phone dead I wouldn't be able to reach anyone and it would be a long walk/hobble home. I pushed to mile 6 and checked my phone, it was down to 4% (my phone sucks when it comes to battery life) but I had signal. This was a hard choice to make, I had never felt this awful and it was intensified by the almost 90 degrees. I could choose to be stubborn and bullheaded (and stupid), push on and try for 8-9 miles at least and risk being caught 25-30 minutes from home (and that is if I ran) with no phone. After 5 minutes, I made the call and asked my husband to pick me up. I made it to 6.6 miles before he got to me, and I was pissed but relieved all in one.
  I ran the 6.6 miles in 1:05:09 BUT with an elapsed time of 1:40:24, it would have taken me 3 hours to finish 16 miles and that is if I hadn't gotten worse. Elevation gain was 231 feet and a loss of 162 feet. Pace was an average 9:54 min/mile, I am sure my pace didn't help at all.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:02
Mile 2 - 9:35
Mile 3 - 9:37
Mile 4 - 9:59
Mile 5 - 9:57
Mile 6 - 10:08
.6      - 10:05

   I guess the only thing that can make me feel better about that week is knowing that I had made that week a possible cutback week (but really didn't want to) I managed around 29 miles for the 5th week of marathon training. :(

  
    Yesterday was a rest day, but Dorian and Rocky and I went for a 3 mile walk. I also realized I had sinus congestion (yay, what fun) which can sometimes last me all week. This morning we went for a 2.8 mile hike, it was a beautiful 65 degrees and Dorian did the whole 2.8 miles no problem.
   This evening I decided to run 4 miles, and I am almost so tempted to add a mile to tomorrow's run, Thursday's run and Friday's run just out of fear of something happening this Sunday to screw up my planned 16 miler. :(
  Anyways, it wasn't bad so I took Rocky with us and we ran 4 miles on a hilly section so that was fun. We ran the 4 miles in 40:22 with an average pace of 10:05 min/mile, elevation gain of 170 and a loss of 170 feet (weird). I still am not feeling 100%, I think other than sinus congestion I am dealing with some bug or something.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:31
Mile 2 - 10:00
Mile 3 - 9:53
Mile 4 - 9:55

    Temperature was 77 degrees, humidity at 47% so barely anything. We did a 1.3 mile cool down walk, hopefully I won't feel like crap tomorrow morning....



No comments:

Post a Comment