Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What Running Means to Me

   Running has a few meanings for me, time to myself, therapy without the expensive price tag, and to burn some extra energy so that it doesn't become negative energy. Most of all, running to me is Freedom. I love being able to use my body to get me somewhere, I like that it slows me down and I can enjoy the scenery but at a good pace, running gives me a sensation so primal, so wild that my body feels it long after the run is over and a peaceful serenity washes over me. There are so many activities out there but running is as old as time itself, running to survive, running to cover a distance whether it was to find new territories, to keep up with our food source, or running from a predator, or just running for the sheer enjoyment of it. Running is in our blood, and when I run I can almost feel ancestors long dead and gone running with me, and sometimes when out on a trail I can almost see them and hear them. 
     My reasons might be different from others, but during races and group runs we're all together and none that of that matters. Our differences are set aside and we are out there, breathing hard and steady, our footsteps sometimes in sync and sometimes not. Our hearts beat strong, using our bodies to push forward and forsaking all contraptions that have encouraged lazy behaviors in us. Even after crossing the finish line or finishing up the group run, the feeling lingers and I feel empowered. Running gives me an amazing feeling, and there isn't anything else quite like it. Happy National Running Day to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment