Sunday, June 29, 2014

First Week of Marathon Training Done

  So I can definitely see this is going to be one challenging experience, and so will the training be. The first week of training is over, and I only ran once by myself. Dorian soaked himself through around 3:30 AM, thanks to having juice too close to bedtime and he was awake. Around 4:15 AM I knew he wasn't going back to sleep, I had to make a choice.... get up and take him with me or try to run my 12 sometime during the day in the heat.... UGH!
  I got up, got him up and got ready and headed to the riverfront in Evansville to attempt 12 miles with him, I forgot to eat anything. Temperature was 73 degrees, 78% humidity and winds at 10 S mph though it felt even stronger at some point. I felt a bit sick to my stomach... I think I lost 3 lbs throughout this morning by just going to the bathroom, I almost thought I was dealing with some form of heat illness. 
  Around 2 miles I stopped and texted my mom, hoping she could come out around 8 AM to watch him. I knew I just couldn't run 12 miles in this humid, warm crap with a stroller. I mean, I guess I could have but like I said in my Wednesday bloop I just don't feel safe wearing myself out with Dorian in my care. If I take him running with me on Wednesdays, Sundays or even Fridays I have only two places to take him - the Newburgh riverfront or Evansville's riverfront. It's pretty freaking predictable if somebody was to start following me with evil intentions and I just hate the idea of being predictable in cases like this. I am setting my alarm back to 3 AM on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday instead of 4:15. I thought I could get some extra sleep but apparently that risks Dorian waking up and if I have to, I'll set it to 2 AM.
  Anyways, when I made it to mile 4 I thought to heck with it and decided I would try to reach mile 6. The Evansville Pigeon Creek Greenway Passage is only about 6.2 - 6.3 miles so I would have end up running just about the whole thing and the more I thought about it, with the sweat just dripping constantly down my face and checking my water bottle to be getting pretty low... I just couldn't handle the thought of reaching 6 miles and having to turn around and run the whole thing that I just ran for another hour. Mentally, I just didn't have it in me to push myself that hard, especially with my son here.
  So, at 4.5 miles I stopped and took a moment to breath then turned around and headed back the other way. Around mile 6 it was looking like it was going to storm so I was getting nervous, but it calmed down. The wind was a bit much with pushing a stroller but I finished 9 miles in 1:30:10 with an average pace of 10:01 min/mile, elevation gain of 189 feet and a loss of 201 feet.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:40
Mile 2 - 10:23
Mile 3 - 10:02
Mile 4 - 9:59
Mile 5 - 9:55
Mile 6 - 9:54
Mile 7 - 9:51
Mile 8 - 9:55
Mile 9 - 9:29

   At the end of it I was feeling a bit dizzy and shaking, definitely not something I want to feel when my son is with me :(
  By this point my mom had texted me that she would be at my house around 8 so I planned on getting my last 3 miles in making today 12 miles like I had planned.
   By the time she got there I was feeling kind of sick to my stomach, but after about 15 minutes I headed out for the 3 miles knowing that in order to get as much shade I would have to take the hilly 3 mile route. It started off slow, and my quads were sore and crying but eventually things picked up and I managed to only stop once for a breath at .85 miles and then no more stops until the end. 
  I ran 3.2 miles in 30:17 with an average pace of 9:28 min/mile so even though I felt like major crap.... I actually was going pretty fast.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:07
Mile 2 - 9:37
Mile 3 - 8:55
.2      - 8:15

    I think the hills helped some, but I just really hope and pray this doesn't happen too often, I've got 18 more weeks before the marathon and it looks like summer is going to be a hot one.


   Oh, and yesterday morning Dorian and I ran with Jumpstart. The majority of them ran 2.75 but I ended up doing 3 miles just because I was so close to it anyways.



















No comments:

Post a Comment