Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Last Two Days, and a Rescue

  First, yesterday Dorian and I met up with Jumpstart for a 2.75 mile run that turned into 2.8 for me. This one was slightly slower than my last few runs with Jumpstart, even at 73 degrees the 78% humidity and merciless sun beat down. Not to mention everyone else was a bit slower too, we finished 2.8 in 28:17 with an average pace of 10:04 min/miles.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:26
Mile 2 - 10:05
.8       - 9:34
   This morning I didn't want to get up, I had set my alarm for 4 AM and the bed felt so good dang it. But I got up and had my coffee and an english muffin. I took my hydration pack with me this time, even though I didn't think I would really need all that water in the reservoir and then the water with two hammer endurolyte fizz tabs in the 12 oz bottle. I had planned on a 12 mile run.
    The temperature was 72 degrees, dew point around 68 and humidity at 83% with no wind whatsoever. I could already tell it was going to be difficult, but I had no idea what was coming at just before mile 3. 
   I had reached 2.8 miles when I noticed a cat crossing the road and standing at a tree right on the side of the road, she didn't run which was strange so I stopped and then she bolted. That's when I noticed the kitten hiding at the base of the tree in the little weeds and brush, probably around 8 weeks old and recently weened. I wasn't sure if that adult cat was the mother or another cat getting ready to harass or even hurt this one. I soon figured out that it was in fact the mother and she had been in the process of relocating her kittens, sadly this kitten had already become attached to me and I was worried he would try and follow, and that the mother might not come back. Suffice to say, I woke my husband up to wake my stepson up to drive over and pick the kitten up. 
   I decided to try and get a few more miles in, maybe 10 miles if I could but by mile 5 Cameron called angry that he was awoken at 5:30 AM and sitting in the living room awake with Dorian so I headed back and the last mile was my fastest I think in a run longer than 10k, getting 7 miles in. I apologized to him for not coming home with my stepson, he soon got over it and headed back to bed.
   I ran 7 miles in 1:07:21 with an average pace of 9:38 min/mile with an elevation gain of 121 feet and a loss of 122 feet. I was tired at the end, really tired and a little upset that I hadn't been able to get more than 7 miles in.
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:54
Mile 2 - 10:14
Mile 3 - 9:58
Mile 4 - 9:57
Mile 5 - 9:49
Mile 6 - 8:30
Mile 7 - 8:01

   And then of course I forgot to turn the watch off so it had this after mile 7
Lap 8 - 9:42 (this was pressing the save/reset/lap button)
Lap 9 - 17:18 (this was one I realized I hadn't pressed stop).

   I was kind of really upset, this would leave me at 26.6 miles for this week and I really wanted 30 miles or more and considered running later around 7 PM. Being home, I decided Dorian and I would go to the store for breakfast and kitten food when I got dressed in my running clothes and decided I would get the 3.4 miles in before going to the store..... it was miserable.
   The sun beat down on me, but I pushed on with the intent to get 3.4 miles in to make the week 30 miles. It was tough, around 1.8 Dorian fell asleep and I turned around and headed back for the Tahoe. Taking breaks and drinking very frequently (every 1/4 - 1/2 of a mile), making the elapsed time 44:14.
  I ran 3.4 miles in 34:07 with an average pace of 10:02 min/mile, elevation gain of 131 feet and a loss of 93 feet. I got 10.4 miles in today, and 30 miles for this week so I am content.... and I am not about to go out and push for any more mileage in this heat dang it.

No comments:

Post a Comment