Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Hearts on Fire 5k (and some Extra Running)

   I knew in advance that I wasn't going to try and PR at this race, mainly because I am no longer interested in short distance races AND I have become obsessed with long distance running so I decided to make the race part of my long run (though split up a little) and just enjoy it.
   I got up this morning just before 5 AM, ate a cinnamon raisin english muffin (with the dark chocolate peanut butter) and some coffee. Rocky and I then headed out the door for 7-8 easy miles, my legs were sore - especially my calves. I guess trying to do the plank position for 3 minutes along with trying to do push ups all while having a 25 lb monkey climbing all over you actually can be pretty tough. Sadly, I had to make 2 pit stops and almost didn't make it home for the 3rd. I really wanted to run 8 miles but Rocky and I finished with 7.5 miles instead - 1:19:34 with an average pace of 10:37 min/mile, elevation gain of 175 feet and a loss of 186 feet, temperature of 18 degrees and snow.
Laps/splits:
Mile 1 - 10:50
Mile 2 - 11:10

Mile 3 - 10:55
Mile 4 - 10:45
Mile 5 - 10:28
Mile 6 - 10:28
Mile 7 - 10:31
.5      - 10:04
   I got home to drop Rocky off (and use the bathroom) then I quickly strapped Dorian into his high chair and gave him some cereal, gave him and DH a goodbye kiss and headed out the door to USI where the race starts. I got there with plenty of time to use the restroom (again) and go for another short run. By this point the temperature had dropped from 18 to 16 degrees, still snowing.
   I ran the USI Recreational pathway for 2.5 miles, finishing in 26:17 with an average pace of 10:31 min/mile, elevation gain of 27 feet and a loss of 26 feet. I was feeling sore still, and I figured I'd probably finish the race around 30-34 minutes as long as I didn't bust my butt.
Laps/splits:
Mile 1 - 10:47
Mile 2 - 10:32
.5      - 9:54
   As I headed to the start, I saw Lee (theKl0wn known by RW and RA) and blamed him for the weather. It was chilly, still 16 degrees and still snowing and I was hoping to just have a decent run. From the start I felt the adrenaline and the competitiveness in me push me through the course and pass a lot of people, even up the hills I charged.
   My garmin show me running 3.12 in 26:40 with an average pace of 8:34 min/mile while the race clock says 26:35 with an average pace of 8:34 min/mile (I am not going to argue). Elevation gain of 126 feet and a loss of 115 feet. With only .1 to go I passed about 6 or 8 people and raced a lady to the finish that tried to give a kick but my kick pushed me past her (yay!). 
Laps/splits:
Mile 1 - 8:48
Mile 2 - 8:34
Mile 3 - 8:35
.1       - 6:17

    Gosh, that last .1 really makes me want to try and see just how fast I can go....... but I am now more focused on distance, not speed.
Official Results:
26:35 minutes with an average pace of 8:34 min/mile
Overall: 121st of 446
Female - 28th of 248
F25-29 - 4th of 39

    Only 3 places from 1st place dang it! And she was only about 2 minutes ahead of me, if I had somehow known that I might have pushed a little harder lol. Total mileage for the day - 13.1





  

No comments:

Post a Comment