Saturday, February 22, 2014

Contemplating Future Goals

  So I am sitting here going through the Jan/Feb issue of Ultra Running and see an ad about the Ozark Trail 100 (in November), and I've been going over ultras in my head again even though I am a good year or two away from even attempting one. I get online and start going through and thinking, thinking some more and here is the long term plan as long as the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon in November goes good.

  • 2015
    • Land Between the Lakes - March
      • Either the 60k or 50 Miler
  • 2016
    • The Ozark Trail 100 - November
   Of course this all depends on how the marathon goes, and my running. Fifty miles is a big jump from 26.2 miles, while 60 kilmeters or 37.2 isn't really a huge jump, plus I have no idea how much rest I will need after the marathon and March is only 4 months after November. On this part we'll just have to see how things go in November, as long as I use these next 8 months wisely and get as much out of my long runs as I can (15-20 miles) I should do well. Plus, November and December and maybe January will see a lot of runs on the trails and I can usually handle more miles on trails than on roads.
   
   As for 2016 and hopes of experiencing my first 100 miler, that again all depends on what happens between now and the next 3 years. My hopes after the marathon in November, and the 60k (or 50 miler) is to run a few solo ultras of my own.... nothing more than say 40 milers and maybe a 50. The Angel Mounds trails are perfect for a solo ultra, the largest loop is a 4...4.3 mile loop which would make for 10 laps for a 40. The parking lot if only .1 miles off the trail so I could set up a makeshift aid station in my tahoe and even have my husband come visit around mile 25 or 30 to cheer me on. 
  I know, it's crazy to be thinking of these goals when they are so far away but I can't help it, my mind likes to wander and think of things like this. It would be exciting to experience my first 100 two and a half years from now, and on such beautiful trails like the Mark Twain in the Ozarks, plus my husband has such fond memories of that area when he was a child. 
  Other than speculating and dreaming, there is nothing else I can do but pass the time and keep on running. 

No comments:

Post a Comment