Sunday, February 16, 2014

After Three Days of no Running

 I hadn't ran since Wednesday night, and I have to admit I was gun shy going out the door this morning. I didn't take Rocky with me, I wanted to focus on my form and stride AND I didn't want to disappoint Rocky by heading out the door and not even making it a mile. I didn't get up until a quarter until 8 AM, taking my sweet time out of reluctance. I walked down the driveway trying to avoid the ice and started the run halfway from the road. My form felt weird, almost hesitant and scared but I kept going and just hoping for good news.... I felt a little stiff but not bad, my left shin was a little achy but not bad.
 Around mile 2 the ball of my right foot was aching, or more like a pinched nerve but not bad and I just kept going. I still wasn't feeling any problems with my calves, so that was good news. Around mile 3, the outside of my left knee started to ache but nothing bad so I kept moving along. That went away (so did the weird pain in the ball of my foot), and around or after mile 5 my toes started stinging which I've had occasionally and normally using my moji foot massage thing helps that issue so I kept pushing along. I did feel a tinge of pain or tightness in my right IT band, I'm guessing from the old (first) running injury back in 2010 but nothing bad. I think my form was really affected by my fear of what my calves might do during this run.
  I made it to 7.1 miles without any real issues, and I didn't want to push my luck so I feel 7.1 miles in 1:15:26 with an average pace of 10:38 min/mile is good for today. Elevation gain of 129 feet and a loss of 128 feet, temperature of 27 degrees so not bad and felt good. 
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:32
Mile 2 - 10:45
Mile 3 - 10:39
Mile 4 - 10:46
Mile 5 - 10:43
Mile 6 - 10:40
Mile 7 - 10:18
.1      - 10:18

    Overall, the run went well and I think the 3 days of rest helped a lot so hopefully with some foam rolling and stretching things will get even better. Tomorrow's 6 miler will hopefully be better or just as good as this morning. I guess I can call this week a cutback week with 21 miles... sucky but maybe the 36 miles 2 weeks ago was a bit much for my legs, I'll probably drop this week to 30 if things go well and make my long run only 12 or 13 miles rather than 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment