Saturday, November 24, 2012

27 Degrees and I Did not Dress for It

   I was supposed to do the Get Dirty 5k this morning, but I had talked myself out of it. Instead I went and ran those same trails for 5.3 miles an hour before the race. The first 2 miles were miserable, I will not lie; I wore my capri tights, ankle socks, a regular thermal undershirt and a shirt over it, I did have on my gloves but they really didn't make a difference. Nothing to cover my ears which were numb, I almost talked myself into running just 1 mile, but when I got to 1 mile I talked myself into 3 miles, just survive 3 miles. I knew I would be happy with 3 miles though, so by the time I reached 2.5 miles I made up my mind to run 5 miles even if I was numb. The only thing that made it difficult was the cold, 27 degrees is the coldest I've ran in so far (that I can remember) and my whole upper body was number halfway through. I ran it in 57 minutes and 31 seconds with a pace of of 10:46. My splits were:
   Mile 1 - 11:10
   Mile 2 - 10:45
   Mile 3 - 10:40
   Mile 4 - 10:57
   Mile 5 - 11:01
   .3 miles - 9:48

  I will not be making that same mistake with my wardrobe, I don't think I could handle another one like it. I told my husband when I got back that this run was even insane for me. I haven't ran on trails (or roads) with snow yet, and I am excited to get that opportunity. The last two years I have always lost track and slacked during late fall and winter after the October Half, so I am pretty proud of myself for still doing so well and November already almost over. I just hope I am not going to regret it. I think my injury happened because of an extreme increase of mileage, June saw 27.1 miles, July 39.2 miles, August 66.2 miles, September 64.6 miles, then my injury caused me to drop down to a total of 27.2 miles or October and so far this month I have 50.3 miles with two more runs to go before November is over. It would be 3 more runs if I run Monday, Wednesday and Friday but I think I am going to rest the next two days and run Tuesday and Thursday instead. I will do some cross training tomorrow, some squats and lunges today and try some yoga tomorrow maybe. And lots of stretching.

No comments:

Post a Comment