Friday, July 5, 2013

The Big Bang 4 Race

  Yesterday morning consisted of a race celebrating the 4th of July, it was called The Big Bang, 4 on the 4th I think and it was fun. I believe a total of 200 participants did it, most of the race ended up on the greenway which seemed quite a bit smaller when you have a lot of people on it. We got bottlenecked a few times, but I managed to pass quite a lot of people even if sometimes it meant running in the grass.
  I ran the 4 miles in 34:11 on my garmin while the race clock says 34:14, either way I did really good for 4 miles, with an average pace of 8:34 min/mile and barely any elevation gain. The temperature was 66 degrees with a humidity of 94%, not bad and I did end up taking my shirt off around mile 2.7 and that felt a lot better though I felt a little self-conscious.
  My splits were:
Mile 1 - 8:52
Mile 2 - 8:37
Mile 3 - 8:33
Mile 4 - 8:17

   I hung around a bit, waiting just out of curiosity but couldn't really hear anything and figured I hadn't won anything but a good time. Later that day I find out looking at this picture I realize I won 2nd place in my age group 25-29, the lady is actually pointing at my name.


  It's kind of funny but a little frustrating too, because again I left and find out later on that I won a place. I think they were only handing out small medals for places other than 1st place who received trophies, or maybe just the overall finishers received trophies and everyone else got a small medal. I am still trying to find out how I go about getting my medal, I was 35 seconds behind the 1st place finisher in my age group which she had a time of 33:39 and mine was 34:14 and I was only 5 people behind her so I kind of wish I had picked up the pace much sooner but then again I am just proud of my time and that I still won a placement. Here is a pic of me coming down the road towards the finish. I'm the only one with my shirt off by the way.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment