Saturday, April 25, 2015

2015 Kentucky Derby Festival Mini Marathon

   Where do I start.... other than getting here being so freaking stressful.... at one point I seriously thought we were going to have to give up and just go home and I was becoming sick to my stomach and getting a strange dizzying headache, getting to the start wasn't quite as bad even though I had to park about a mile from the start/finish.... I would later find out just how much that would suck.
  It was cloudy, with a very big chance of rain. I was just hoping that it would just be rain and no thunderstorms. We started off and things were going well enough, it was a little packed and I am not sure how so many walkers and slow runners had managed to get to Corrals C, B and A but we were passing quite a bit.
  The crowds were pretty lively and very uplifting, and the rain was holding off.
Mile 1 - 9:05
Mile 2 - 9:02
Mile 3 - 8:56

   I wanted to take it easy, knowing I still had another half marathon Sunday morning but I found myself keeping a good pace wanting to get a sub 2 hour finish. It was still pretty crowded, but I was listening to other runners carrying on and it was amusing.
Mile 4 - 8:49
Mile 5 - 8:55
Mile 6 - 9:05

   Around this point my stomach was getting a little upset but not horrible, I was beginning to feel a little tired and blah... I expected this although not during the first race but during the second one. They had powerade instead of gatorade but I don't think that had any cause to my upset stomach, I think somewhere around mile 7 or 8 I walked a little but less than a minute...
Mile 7 - 8:51
Mile 8 - 9:17
Mile 9 - 9:08

   At this point I was telling myself only 4 miles or so, we ran through the Churchhill Downs track and they were putting a few horses through their workouts. That was pretty cool to see them, I love horses. I kept telling myself to keep going, walking wasn't going to get me to the finish any sooner. At this point the rain started coming down a little harder, and harder with each mile. At mile markers 10 and 11 I walked about 30-40 seconds before starting up again, and I think I walked about 40 seconds to a minute around 12.4 miles. The last half marathon where I felt this tired was 2014's Owensboro Memorial Day Half Marathon, which was in May..... warm and sunny.

Mile 10 - 9:31
Mile 11 - 9:03
Mile 12 - 9:21
Mile 13 - 9:16
Mile 13.1 - 6:28

   I kicked it hard during the final quarter mile, really hard. At this point my garmin was right on target with the race course, it started matching right around mile 7-13.1 miles so that is nice. The finish chute sucked balls, I was a little lost and we were piling in together and bottlenecking... I was able to get a banana and that was it because I just wanted out and back to my Tahoe. I was soaked, cold and tired.. thankfully I asked directions otherwise I would headed in the opposite direction of where my Tahoe was. I am also glad I brought another pair of socks, shorts and shirts/tanks for the 2nd race.
   I don't like Spring half marathons, I don't really like warm weather long distance races so I am seriously questioning my sanity but this morning was 53 degrees and cloudy so the weather wasn't an issue. I am still feeling sore but I plan on doing tomorrow's race even if I felt so sore and aching.
  I finished with a time of 1:58:57 with an average pace of 9:05 min/mile, not bad though I am sure I am going to be feeling it awful tomorrow and the next few days. But the plan tomorrow is to finish between 2.5 - 3 hours, just take it easy and hike the hills.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment