Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Scary Run this Morning

 Well, luckily I am not in a hospital or dead on the road... this morning I got out the door around 6 a.m for my 6.2 mile run ( the extra .2 to even out my mileage for August) and things were going well.... people were off to work and school and the temperature was 70 while humidity 100%, not sure what the dew point was. I always stay on top of the white line if I can help it when a car is coming my way, trying not to inconvenience them too much. Well, here comes this black Toyota Land Rover already way over the speed limit (30 mph) and I am sure they were reaching 40-50 mph. The asshole (not sure whether guy or chick, but they had a narrow face) kept their sideview mirror right on top of the white line, I ended up jumping off the road just to avoid getting taken out by the mirror, and the asshole stared right at me as they raced past (we made eye contact). I turn around called them a prick and flipped them off, I was hoping they'd come back and get out of their car, I was going to kick the shit out of them and then pepper spray the shit out of them (I was very angry at that moment, and that was exactly what I was thinking). They kept going, what pissed me off more was the fact that I didn't have my phone on me this time so I couldn't call the police or even 911 if I had been hit, or DH. Not to mention I would have been most likely sidelined for weeks and most definitely not running my 3 half marathons this Fall, another thought that really had me infuriated. From that point on every time a car was coming up behind me I would look to make sure it wasn't the same vehicle, thinking if I had already turned around and was going the other way, would the jerk had swerved over just to hit me from behind and I would never have seen it coming. 
  From now on, no matter how tired I am, I will be waking up at 5 to go for my run rather than getting out the door at 6 when people are headed to work or school. I remember why I avoid running out there after 6 a.m. One of my biggest fears almost came to life this morning, being hit by a car while running. There's been jerks who haven't moved just a bit over before, but normally they are going pretty slow while this guy/girl was over the speed limit and could see me for a quarter of a mile away before our eyes even met.  Yeah I am pissed and I will be keeping an eye out for the asshole from now on.

   Other than that, 6.2 miles in 59:10 with an average pace of 9:33 min/mile and elevation gain of 116 ft and loss of 120 ft. The first mile was pretty slow, I figured this wasn't going to be a progression run but things got faster. Just before mile 3 was when the jerk tried to kill me.
Splits/Laps were:
Mile 1 - 11:17
Mile 2 - 9:34
Mile 3 - 9:19
Mile 4 - 9:24
Mile 5 - 9:12
Mile 6 - 8:46
.2      - 8:17 

No comments:

Post a Comment