Sunday, February 10, 2019

Base Building - Week 4

   This week started out terrible, Monday I tried to take Dorian in the stroller along with Jetta but we only got .94 miles done before I gave up. Jetta had really messed up my stroller, and I seriously thought it was done for which would make training this summer really difficult..... next to impossible.
I took it to the shop and let my husband look it over, and we're pretty certain he fixed it or at least got it close to tracking straight instead of to the left or right. Won't know until I take it out again. 
Did I mention that at this point my teeth and head was still killing me, especially in the morning? They were, it was so bad that waking up I wanted to cry and just say fuck this shit. I was able to leave the shop Tuesday afternoon but I only had enough time for a short run.

I went to bed Tuesday night determined to get up Wednesday and get a good run in, I got up with pain but got myself ready with the intention to run 8 miles. It was something like 60 degrees and windy, early on I saw some heat lightning but thought nothing of it as the forecast didn't say anything about a storm, just rain. We were 3.5 miles from home when shit hit the fan, the rain picked up and so did the lightning. By the time we were back on Fuquay and headed for home, lighting was striking across the sky, thunder was following it and the rain had become a monsoon. I think I spent that last 2 miles begging God not to strike me down. We didn't get the 8 miles I wanted, instead, we ended up with 6.3 miles.  

Thursday wasn't really any different and I knew it would be so I didn't bother to get out of bed, I took this as an easy day. It rained all day and the winds were insane. Other than Monday's short run that involved messing and fighting with that stroller, I hadn't had an easy day since last Friday.
Friday I woke up with a slightly duller headache and gum pain, but I managed to get up. The temps had dropped like 30 degrees, Thursday was like near or in the 60's and now it was 19 degrees with a feels like 5, it was windy. I dressed pretty warmly, the only things suffering from the cold air were my gums. The plan was for 5 miles but by mile 8 I had decided that since I was already out there freezing my ass off I might as well make up for Wednesday's sabotage. Jetta and I ran 7.4 miles. 

Saturday I woke up and realized that the pain was nearly gone, as were the headaches. Still felt a little out of it but better than I had felt in the past 2 weeks. It was 16 degrees with a feels like 5, and it felt much colder than Friday did. I had planned to just get in an easy 3 but that went out the window and we ran 4 instead.

I was excited, I was currently sitting at 21.8 miles for the week and the long run was all I needed. I could just do 9 and reach 30 for the week, but I didn't want just 9. The forecast was predicting freezing rain that didn't look like it would really start until later in the morning, I was confident that I could get my long run in.
I woke up Sunday to 30 degrees and cloudy, I felt a little out of it since I had woken up half an hour before my alarm and laid there for another half hour after it went off. I dressed appropriately and we headed out the door, by mile 1.6 the sprinkles had started as I headed down the road. I had changed up my route and headed out into Newburgh and toward the gym. I was dealing with hunger pain, gas pain and my legs were feeling a bit tight, I was constantly stopping to stretch. By the time we were up behind Walmart the freezing rain had begun, I had decided to avoid most of the highway where it goes past the front of Castle high school and instead went on the road behind Castle South Middle School and the high school. Going down a hill behind there, I nearly busted my ass on ice. I realized that the freezing rain was freezing the road, oh what fun. From mile 8 to mile 10.9 was pretty uneventful, I was hungry and still feeling tight but the gas pressure was gone. I was happily thinking to myself how close we were to being done as we turned on to Jenner Rd at mile 10.9 and hit the black ice. The next half a mile involved a lot of walking as it was really no slower than my run on this ice, I looked like a cartoon running in place. I was a bit pissed off, whatever fight I had left in me at that point was nearly destroyed. We got onto Fuquay at mile 11.7 and there was some relief from the ice thankfully, but I did have to deal with some dogs and the really big hill.
Jetta and I got home soaking wet and cold, we ran 13.1 miles and earned it. 
About an hour or 2 later I was sitting on the couch and when I went to stretch out my left leg, my adductor ceased up on me... hadn't had that kind of a cramp in a long time.

Other than that, I finished the week with 34.9 miles. Next week is going to be an easy week, and then the following will have the Bound the Trail Half Marathon as my long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment