Thursday, February 18, 2016

2016 LBL Marathon Training Week 12 - Part One

  Well, only... or less than... 3 weeks until the 2016 Land Between the Lakes Marathon (March 12). I think it's 3 weeks from this coming weekend or Saturday, which means this week is the final week and chance I have to get in a good weekly mileage with a 20 miler to top it off at, because next weekend begins the taper - the Bound the Mounds Half Marathon race of course is on February 27 at Angel Mounds. This will be my first year running it, the last 2-3 years have either been seriously muddy or icy or I had another race to worry about. So far it looks like things will be okay, if the temps get cold enough that Friday night and stay just below freezing we should have some relatively frozen but soft ground... it's the flooded sections that bug me.
  It's crazy to think that the race is only 3 weeks and a couple days away, as long as things go well we should be able to leave Thursday afternoon on March 10 to head down there and stay until Sunday. 
  Anyways... as for week 12, so far I've gotten in 24.6 miles and it's Thursday so in other words this week is going pretty good. 
  Monday was a rest day (as usual) and Tuesday I woke up no problem, it was 34 degrees with no wind. I dressed accordingly. I was definitely feeling Sunday's hills, my quads, butt and calves were sore as hell. It wasn't the fastest run, but I got in 8 miles in 1:21:26 with an average pace of 10:11 min/mile. Elevation gain of 132 feet and a loss of 137 feet.
Laps/splits
Mile 1 - 10:48
Mile 2 - 9:50
Mile 3 - 10:20
Mile 4 - 10:22
Mile 5 - 10:23
Mile 6 - 10:01
Mile 7 - 10:01
Mile 8 - 9:40

    It was actually a pretty dangerous run, extremely foggy. There were times I thought I was on the movie "The Mist" and I could've sworn I heard some big flying towards me from behind.... yeah... little scary.
 



   Wednesday morning I was feeling a little better, it was 36 degrees with a feels like 31, 6 mph WNW winds. I decided to run a different route, one I haven't ran in a long time because the first 4 miles aren't safe and people heading to work or school are total jerks. I've just been getting tired of the same old route everything, turning right each time at the end of our driveway. Other than a few drivers, it went pretty good. I ended up running 10.4 miles in 1:44:18 with an average pace of 10:02 min/mile, I am still feeling the soreness/fatigue from Sunday's run but not bad. Elevation gain of 258 feet, and a loss of 265 feet.
Laps/splits 
Mile 1 - 10:16
Mile 2 - 10:03
Mile 3 - 10:00
Mile 4 - 10:03
Mile 5 - 10:12
Mile 6 - 10:02
Mile 7 - 10:08
Mile 8 - 10:00
Mile 9 - 9:52
Mile 10 - 9:53
Mile 10.4 - 9:40

   Overall, not a bad run. I did some leg strengthening exercises later that morning before heading in. (I've also got some new weights, a 25 lb dumbbell and a EZ curl bar with two 25 lb plates for working my arms, but that was on Tuesday). Before heading into the shop, I took lil bit to Wesselman's for a hike, it was still pretty damn cold so we only hiked 1 mile. Wednesday night, I went to bed late... around 11 and I felt it hard when I woke up at 4:05 this morning, a bad headache and the serious desire to stay in bed.
  I really, really, REALLY didn't want to get up. This was the first Thursday in 3 weeks that I was able to get up and out of bed, and I didn't want to. But I made a promise to the doggies, I was going to take them out on the trails for a run. 
  It was 30 degrees, though it felt a little colder. I dressed accordingly, we got there just after 5 AM. 
  From the get go, it sucked. Well... not really, but I was tired and my headlamp was extremely low (I keep it in my Tahoe, so I guess the cold weather zaps it of power). The ground was extremely frozen but it was solid enough not to get stuck in mud, so that was good. The bad - there were so many flooded sections, icy, cold bone chilling water and some of it about a foot (12") deep. I really tried to avoid getting my feet wet, but that wasted more time and I bet all of it ended up tacking 3 minutes onto my total time. I'll be so happy when the grounds are dry...er.
   We ran 6.2 miles in 1:07:44 with an average pace of 10:55 min/mile, definitely took it slow and easy but I was feeling a lot better during the last 2 miles... if only we had an extra 30-40 minutes I would have ran us for another 2-3 miles. You'll notice that the faster splits are the where I was able to avoid a lot of water/ice, the slower splits are the ones with the icy, flooded sections.
  Laps/splits
Mile 1 - 11:56
Mile 2 - 10:54
Mile 3 - 10:44
Mile 4 - 10:33
Mile 5 - 10:39
Mile 6 - 11:01
Mile 6.2 - 9:37

  So far that gives me 24.6 miles, and I am hoping for 8-10 miles tomorrow morning... just praying that the winds aren't what they're forecasting (16-20 mph). If I can do 8 or 10, then I will only have to do like 4-5 on Saturday and then try my best to get in one 20 miler before I have to start tapering.

No comments:

Post a Comment