Sunday, January 11, 2015

Losing Sight of a Silver Lining (aka Freaking Out)

Last time I posted on here was December 20, 2014 and I was mildly upbeat though without mojo, just dealing with some mild aggravation around the ankles. Now, I am losing hope and beginning to feel at a loss and wondering if running will ever feel like it once did. Since my last post, I've ran off and on, not worrying if I missed a day. I decided to take the rest of December off hoping I would start 2015 with a strong and healthy body, that just doesn't seem to be the case at all. I ran January 1, after registering for the Monumental Marathon, the Backside Trail Half Marathon and the Kentucky Derby Festival Half Marathon. Things seemed okay, then I ran some on Thursday and little on Friday. I should have known something was wrong Friday afternoon as I couldn't really chase Dorian around without feeling stiff in my left leg around my bicep Femoris, mainly at the bottom of my left butt cheek and I didn't think too much of it but figured I wouldn't run Saturday. Saturday morning I didn't feel it, so I thought nothing of it. I had also got back to doing squats and lunges that week, I should point that out as well.
But Sunday was different, Rocky and I started out the door and things seemed fine though I just felt off for some reason. Somewhere between mile 4 and 6 I started to feel all of my Bicep Femoris act up (left leg) - starting at the bottom of my left buttcheek, the very top of the back of my thigh, skipping the middle of it and then continuing to be stiff at the end of it on the outside/behind of my left knee. It was seriously stiff, and my left calf seemed agitated but I pressed on. After mile 6 and near mile 7 it seemed to ease up, until I had to stop and use the bathroom. The squatting irritated it so much more, and from that point to the end of 10.6 miles it was bugging me, not only that but the toes on my left foot were burning (which does occasionally happen to me), everything on top of it all had me freaking out and upset.
I knew this pain/stiffness because it happened on my right leg just before the marathon, but not as serious. I did the stretch I was told to, an article stated that the pain is usually because the quad is stronger than the hamstring and pulling the pelvis in a weird position which keeps the hamstring stretched (or something like that).
I decided to take time off, a week if I had to and I started some stretches for all parts of my legs and foam rolling. But by Wednesday or Thursday I started to notice my legs were stiff and achy - the kind of aches you get during the taper for a marathon (weird). Did I mention I had only given myself 4 days of rest after the marathon, I am looking back and wondering if that was stupid on my part and I should have given myself 1 to 2 weeks???
Also, everyone in the house has been sick all last week including my son. Monday through Friday consisted of me and him sleeping most of our nights on the couch scrunched up and him aggravated and pissed off that he couldn't sleep due to his nose being so congested and full of mucus. The week before that, my son somehow got off his schedule and was waking up throughout the night laughing and carrying on.... driving me crazy. Last night was probably the first time in 2 weeks that I got more than 3-4 hours of sleep :(
I have not yet caught the bug, but something tells me it is lurking there beneath the surface waiting.
All these things that have happened over the course of 2 1/2 months have me wondering and pondering on what and where the hell did I go wrong. 

  1. Not giving my body the much needed rest after the marathon and training.
  2. Not paying closer attention to what my legs were telling me when my ankles and calves were acting up.
  3. Lack of sleep, and most of what I did get was on a couch.
  4. Sickness all through the house and at work.
  5. Maybe the squats and lunges irritated the mystery injury even more, without my knowing.


2014 was an amazing year for me, no real injuries and if I felt banged up or in need of a day or 2 of rest I gave my body that. But near the end of 2014 and so far things have been miserable. Am I doomed? Should I give up now, and just face it that my love affair with running has come to an end of in need of a break from each other? Should I take the rest of January off from running, and give my body the rest it deserved back in January? I just don't know what to do, seeing everybody else talk about running, their badass runs in extreme conditions, I envy them and it pisses me off more and more that I can't be out there getting my mileage in :(
I am losing hope with it, Rocky and I hit the trails this morning for no more than 3 miles and my Bicep Femoris was stiff most of the way, we hiked for 1.6 miles after that and it was still somewhat stiff. I am at a loss, and feeling depressed over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment