Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Sights Set on you Land Between the Lakes Marathon

   So the Monumental marathon didn't go completely as planned, due to stomach issues way out of my control but other than that it was amazing and awesome and I am so ready for the next chapter.
   And so my sights are soon to be on the Land Between the Lakes Marathon which is March 14, 2015. I'm still debating on whether to do a 14 week plan or another 19 week plan, I am definitely considering the 14 week plan so that the training can start on December 2 which gives me all of November to take it easy and build my mileage back up. Still working on the plan though, can't decide if I want my long runs on Sunday or Saturday.... but I have a month before I start that chapter. Figuring up your own plan is always the most difficult part of training (in my opinion), and even more so for me with trail running as I learned near the final weeks of my last training cycle that leg fatigue is serious business just as much as falling flat on your face is (lol). As my long runs pick up beyond 16 miles I'll just figure them being on roads.
  Some might think it's weird or crazy that I am already thinking about the next marathon, and I've already decided that I want to take another crack at the Monumental next year... though there will be a tiny dilemma - the Rock/Creek Stumpjump 50k in October... I really, really, REALLY want to go after it next year but logic tells me to take on a few marathons before going further. I've learned that logic is the better way to go, when pushing the body beyond it's limits, taking baby steps rather than diving all the way in.
  Yep, I had already registered for this marathon like 2 months ago and though I am concerned about the weather (as usual), I am not fretting about it at all. This time I have no time goal, or expectations with this marathon but to have fun with it. 
  Taken from the websiteThe course starts on the shore of beautiful Kentucky Lake. Turn off Hwy 453 at the entrance to Lighthouse Landing, and proceed past the sailboats to the shoreline starting area. From the start, take a right onto 453 and proceed south for 1.5 miles, utilizing the canal bridge. If we have a clear morning you should see the sun rising over Lake Barkley. Turn right onto Kentucky Lake Scenic Drive, and head up and over the hill to the trail head, which is just before the road takes a sharp turn to the left. Note that you take the trail to the right, and will run in a clockwise direction. This initial 1.9 mile road section should allow for separation of participants before entering the trail. 
The Canal Loop trail (designated by blue markers on trees), is a scenic, well groomed 11.3 mile loop on mostly single-track between Kentucky and Barkley Lakes; offering many breathtaking views of the lakes, and several short challenging hills. 
  The Marathon course - Start at Lighthouse Landing, run Canal Loop 2 times, head back to finish at Grand Rivers Welcome Center. Make certain an official records your name/number before starting your 2nd loop.
    Trying to figure up calculations, I think this will be a little over 26.2 miles but that is okay with me. The only thing I have to remember is to make sure an official records my name/number before starting my 2nd loop... that would suck major balls if I forget to do that lol. Maybe at some point during January I might see about heading to the lakes and running the loop... but I won't get my hopes up as that is a 2 hour drive from me.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment