Thursday, January 9, 2020

Go! St. Louis Marathon - Training Week 1

So I kicked off the training cycle for this year's Go! St. Louis Marathon, and it went pretty well. My right lower leg still seems a bit tight, but not painful.
Monday I hit the gym and decided not to run afterwards.

Then Tuesday I went to the gym again, knowing I wasn't going to go there on New Year's Day since it would not be opening until 6 AM.

Then I went out for what was planned to be an easy 5-6 mile run but I ended up with 7.1 miles, very slow miles. The wind was blowing 13 mph with gusts up to 18 at some points and I made the mistake of doing this particular course in reverse so the hilly section had the wind hitting me in the face.


Thursday I didn't make it to the gym, at this point I was dealing with some nasty sinus issues or flu or something. Later that day, before picking Dorian up from school I managed to get in some miles.

Friday I forced myself to go to the gym, I wasn't feeling as awful as Wednesday or Thursday but still wasn't feeling 100%


I can't remember why but I didn't go for a run immediately after the gym, instead, I went later in the day just before I had to pick Dorian up from school. I took Jetta with me and it was raining and chilly and we ended up soaked to the bone, but overall it was a good run.


By Sunday morning, I had a rough time getting up and going. I didn't get great sleep that night, and I knew I had at least 12-13 miles to run this morning. It was pitch black outside and of course, I choose the route where between miles 5 and 8, there are tons of potholes and hills. It was still dark out when I reached those roads and I had to slow down and even walk at times because I was not about to get injured at the start of this training cycle.
Thankfully that didn't happen, it was slow going but I managed to get 13.1 miles done (which also gives me my January half marathon on Strava).


That gives me 31.2 miles for week 1 of this training cycle, and hopefully I can continue this progress with no hiccups. 



No comments:

Post a Comment