Saturday, May 2, 2015

First Run Since Backside

  I've been craving trails since the Backside Trail Half, so the plan was to hit Angel Mounds this morning after going to the gym for back day (one hour and 8 minutes)
Assisted Pull-ups: 3 sets/ 5 reps/ 80lbs assisted
Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs: 3 sets/ 12 reps/ 70 lbs, 1 set/ 8 reps/ 80 lbs 
One Arm Dumbbell Row: 35lbsX12reps, 40lbsX8reps, 35lbsX12reps, 40lbsX8reps, 35lbsX12reps, 40lbsX10reps
Underhand Seated Row: 60lbsX12reps, 70lbsX8reps, 60lbsX12reps, 70lbsX8reps, 60lbsX12reps, 70lbsX8reps
Parallel Grip Lat Pull Downs: 65lbsX12reps, 70lbsX8reps, 65lbsX12reps, 70lbsX8reps, 65lbsX12reps, 70lbsX8reps
Seated Low Row: 60lbsX12reps, 70lbsX8reps, 60lbsX12reps, 70lbsX8reps, 60lbsX12reps, 70lbsX8reps

Machine Lat Pull Downs: 100lbsX12reps, 110lbsX8reps, 100lbsX12reps, 110lbsX8reps, 100lbsX12reps, 110lbsX8reps

  So Rocky and I headed to the trails, my gut instinct told me to park at the levee but I didn't listen.... first 10 minutes were spent trying to build a makeshift bridge over such nasty mud just to get to the trailhead, my branches were sinking 4-6 inches deep in this crap. I'm not just talking about normal mud from rain, I am talking about mud from the most polluted river in the USA (Ohio River, google it.....) and the Angel Mounds trails are practically underwater during our rainy season (Spring) and can take up to 2 months of no rain just to dry up all or 85% of the trails. Not only that, but when we did get out on the trails, there were limbs, branches, trash and even full grown trees lying on or across the trail. Suffice to say that after about 5 minutes of it I was done, we headed back to the Tahoe with only .7 miles on the trail. I didn't have a towel in the Tahoe so I had Rocky trot alongside the Tahoe to the boat ramp where he and I could get our paws and shoes somewhat clean. 

 Got home, took a bath and got some things done. Then around 10 AM I took Dorian and Rocky down to the Newburgh rivefront to try and get the other 4.3 miles in. It was tough, no cloud in sight and the sun was shining. It was 70 degrees and no wind, I felt bad for Rocky but we did stop twice so I could give him water. But we ran 4.3 miles in 42:24 with an average pace of 9:52 min/mile
Laps/splits were:
Mile 1 - 10:15
Mile 2 - 9:41
Mile 3 - 9:45
Mile 4 - 9:38
Mile 4.3 - 10:20 (the big freaking hill)

  Depending on how I feel tomorrow, Rocky and I might hit the roads for an easy 5 or 6 miler.

Now onto thoughts about the Harmonie Half as I am obsessive and I must make notes of 75% of my thoughts (trust me, the other 25% is so X-rated you'd run to a church just to repent after reading any of it :D :D :D )

   I'm not worried about the River Run, that will be a good 10 mile long run in which I will run across one of the bridges from Henderson KY to Evansville downtown and that is the ONLY SAFEST time to actually run either of these bridges, there is no walk way on there and you are literally signing your own death warrant if you try. So depending on where I am at next weekend as far as long runs, I MIGHT get in a 2 or 3 miler earlier that morning with Rocky before the race.
   Owensboro's Memorial Day Half is no big deal due to my having ran it last year and knowing it will most likely be freaking humid, but I have no plans of racing it all out, just putting a little hmpf to it.
  Harmonie is another story, this is it's first year as a foot race. They have a 6 hour bike race on these same trails and a couple other races throughout the year but who cares about those as I am not doing them. This will be the first half marathon distance race where I will have my hydration vest with me. This is a 13.1 mile loop and they will only have 3 aid stations.... at a race in mid summer..... yeah you bet your ass I am coming with my own water bladder (1 Liter) and my 12 oz bottle of either gatorade or water with Hammer fizz tablets/Gu tabs, and of course a pack or two of energy gels. 
It'll be interesting, it'll be my 2nd trail half marathon as well.... I wonder if they might make a marathon distance next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment