Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Relationship With Running

This is my first post, and my first blog on here. I have always been impressed by runners, ever since my sister had joined her middle school track and cross country about 11 years ago, I could never understand the mechanics of it. My breathing technique sucked, my running technique sucked. For about 6 years I went to my sister's meets and watched her run and race, she was a natural at it and I wanted so much to join her. Even after high school I was infatuated with it, for the past 3 years now I started run/walking,  but my technique just wasn't good enough for long distance. Back in March of this year my brother and I started going to the gym, I wanted to get back into shape, lose 25 lbs and feel great about myself. About 2 months later I had lost 20 lbs, I was standing in the gym waiting for my brother when I looked and saw a flier. The flier stated that the YMCA was hold a Jumpstart for people interested in getting into running and doing the Half Marathon in October, that urge hit me there, I signed up for it. In July Jumpstart ended and Team 13 began, but I was still run/walking, though at that point I was running more. Around the end of July by accident I got lost in the group of runners instead of run/walkers and ran a whole 5 miles without walking, ended in 55 minutes but I was feeling the soreness. But unfortunately I had injured my IT band without knowing it, I kept pushing myself, in August I ran the 5K and finished at 29:58, I had one 9:43 mpm and felt it even more severely. But it wasn't until the 10K in September that I had to realize and admit it to myself that I needed a rest and to start from base again. So more than a month later here I am, running 3 times a week. This morning I ran 3.25 miles with no pain, except for the side stitch. I am excited to say that not only will I get my 30 miles in this month, but I have signed up for the Half Marathon in April 2011, and I believe that if I keep training myself, and listening to my body, I will be able to do it. Even though this relationship started out bumpy if not with a lot of road blocks, it is smoothing out and becoming something quite beautiful. I will not stop at the Half Marathon, I do not wish to stop there, but keep going, and some day start and finish a Full Marathon along with a few Triathlons. I have found peace in running, and can't wait til I'll be running 5 miles a day, and then 10 miles every other day or just on the weekend long runs. I am in love.........with running.

No comments:

Post a Comment